Games require art assets such as textures, sound effects and music. There are numerous sites available that provide assets either free or at nominal cost.
Be sure to read the licenses on all assets you use. Sometimes all that is required is that you provide a public acknowledgement of the source's asset. Sometimes payment is required.
If you have favourite assets other than those listed below, let me know and I will add them to this page.
When creating 2D art assets, you will need to create textures for use in Unity:
- paint.net is an excellent Windows image editing tool, and is available in the CASLab.
- pixlr is a free and easy to use web-based tool.
- More advanced users may prefer the GIMP, a free, cross-platform image editing tool.
- If you don't mind spending a little money, Photoshop is the standard tool used by artists (available with monthly subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.) Available for Windows and MacOS.
- Mac users can consider the tool that I use - the reasonably-priced Pixelmator.
There are numerous repositories with high-quality textures available free or at low cost:
- Open Game Art provides a plethora of free art suitable for use in games.
- The Unity Asset Store has professional-qulaity of artwork for use in Unity games, at a range of prices.
- Free stock textures contains textures for walls, ground, liquids, and more.
- Mayang's library also contains free images suitable for ground, terrain, walls, etc.
- Texturelib also contains a wide range of useful textures including doors and animals.
Games involve sound effects ranging over, for example, footsteps, creaky doors, waterfalls and gunshots.
- freesound contains a vast selection of freely available sound effects.
If you wish to edit your own sound effects, consider:
- Audacity is available for Windows/Mac/Linux.
Soundtracks can help establish the mood of the game. The best game soundtracks have no vocals. There are numerous repositories that offer music suitable for use in games.
- Incompetech offers a wide range of styles of royalty-free music.