Farhana Zulkernine is an Associate Professor and the Coordinator of the Cognitive Science program at the School of Computing at Queen's University. She holds a Ph.D. degree from the School of Computing at Queen's University and is a member of Professional Engineers of Ontario. She has more than 15 years of international work experience in three continents in software design, analysis and research. As a researcher she has worked with CA Technologies, IBM Canada, SAP Germany and Fondazione Bruno Kessler in Italy. Her research interests include service and cloud computing, big data analytics and management, and cognitive computing. She has ongoing research collaborations with IBM Canada, Gnowit, Calian, Kings Distributed Systems, the Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC), Compute Canada, Canadian Primary Care Sentinel Services Network (CPCSSN), and Queen's School of Medicine, Law, and Business. She has taught a wide number of courses in database management systems, cognitive science and machine learning. Her research has been funded by IBM, CFI, MITACS, NSERC
CRD, Discovery and CREATE, OCE VIP, CUTRIC, CIMVHR, SOSCIP and Queen's. She has published in many reputed journals and international conferences and served on a variety of conference program and grant committees as an expert in big data and machine learning.
Academic Curriculum Vitae
Cognitive Science Program:
- Big and Streaming Data Management and Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Learning (IoT, text and video/image data) and Decision Support Systems (DSS)
- Cognitive Computing
- Knowledge Management Systems
- Cloud and Services Computing
Fields of Application
- Medical/health information systems, wearable health monitors
- Autonomous vehicles and smart cities
- Medical, law and financial data analytics
Check the BAM Lab Website for information about open positions.
Fall 2020 Courses
Winter 2021 Courses
Previously Taught Courses
- COGS 100 : Introduction to Cognitive Science
- COGS 201: Cognition and Computation
- COGS 300: Programming Cognitive Models
- COGS 499: Advanced Undergraduate Project
- COGS 400/CISC/CMPE 452: Neural and Genetic Cognitive Models
- CISC 874: Neural and Genetic Computing
- CISC 432/832: Advanced Database Management Systems
- Post-doctoral Fellowship award, IBM Canada Research and Development Center (CRDC) and Southern Ontario Smart Computing Innovation Platform (SOSCIP), 2012.
- NSERC Post Doctoral Fellowship award (declined to accept the IBM/SOSCIP award), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research, 2012.
- NSERC Industrial Research and Discovery Fellowship (IRDF) award, pre-approved, NSERC, 2012.
- MITACS Elevate Industrial Postdoctoral Fellowship award, MITACS and CA Technologies, 2010.
- NSERC Visiting Fellowship (VF) award, nominated, NSERC, 2010.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) - Professional Outreach Award, 2008.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE SOCNE 07 Workshop at IEEE AINA, 2007, Niagara, Canada.
- NSERC CRD (Collaborative Research and Development), 2020
- Mitacs Accelerate Grants with CUTRIC and Kings Distributed
- Queen's Research Opportunities Funds (QROF), 2019
- New Frontiers in Research Fund (Coinvestigator), 2019
- NSERC CREATE (co-PI) on Cybersecurity, 2019
- Canadian Urban Transit Research and Innovation Consortium (CUTRIC), 2019
- OCE VIP I, 2018
- IBM, Mitacs, and CIMVHR Funding, collaborators: University
of Manitoba and University of Toronto, 2018
- IBM Centre for Advanced Computing (CAS) research grant, 2018
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) Grant, 2018
- NSERC Discovery Grant, 2018
- IBM CRDC and SOSCIP (Southern Ontario Smart Computing
Innovation Platform) Funding, collaborator: Gnowit and IBM, 2017
- Research Initiation Grant, School of Computing, Queen's
- Canadian Artificial Intelligence Association (CAIAC)
- Expert team member, Queen's Conflicts Analytics Lab
- AI Expert, Canadian Urban Transit Research and Innovation Consortium (CUTRIC) Advisory Group
- Big Data Analytics Expert, SOSCIP Scientific Advisory Committee
- Licensed member of the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- IEEE Computer Society
- INSTICC (Institute for Systems and Technologies of Information, Control and Communication)
Conference Technical Programme Committee Member:
- IBM CASCON (2016-2017), International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER) (2015- 2017), ACM Symposium of Applied Computing (SAC) Cloud Computing track (2011-2017), International Conference on Advances in Big Data Analytics (ABDA'17), International Conference on Applied Cognitive Computing (ACC'17)International Conference on Grid, Cloud, and Cluster Computing (GCC'17), International Conference on Health Informatics and Medical Systems (HIMS'17), International Conference on Internet Computing and Internet of Things (ICOMP'17)
- IEEE SSCI
- IEEE Big Data
- IBM CASCON
- ACM KDD and SAC
- IEEE ICWS, Cloud Computing, Services Computing, CLOSER